Roses are the most famous flowers in the world. There are several different colors of roses, and each one of them represents very different feelings.
In today’s article we’re going to focus on the meaning behind yellow roses, and we’re going to tell you about the best occasions for giving the gift of bouquets of yellow roses, based on the symbolism of this flower.
The origin of yellow flowers
Fossils suggest that roses originated 32 million years ago in the Northern Hemisphere.
These roses, typical of Europe, the Americas and the Middle East, were mostly pink. In some areas, roses in different shades of pink could be found, from fuchsia to pastel pink, and even in white.
However, roses in other colors, such as yellow, were discovered much later.
Yellow roses also originate from the Middle East. Specifically, Europeans discovered them in Afghanistan and southeast Asia in the 18th century. These roses bloomed naturally across these lands in shades ranging from pale yellow to sulfur.
This discovery captivated many Europeans, so they soon began to grow them in Europe and also tried to create hybrids between yellow and European roses.
The 3 flowers used in hybridization with European roses were the following:
- Rosa Ecae: It originates from Afghanistan. This rose is a little bush with yellow flowers that look like buttercups.
- Rosa Foetida: This flower stands out for its large size and vibrant yellow color.
- Rosa Hemisphaerica: It originates from southeast Asia. Hemisphaerica roses stand out not only for their intense yellow color but also because they have double flowers.
Symbolism of yellow flowers
The color yellow is very vibrant and cheerful, which is why it’s associated with optimism, warmth, joy and also happiness.
Contrary to popular belief, the color yellow doesn’t have negative connotations. It’s a very lively color because it symbolizes brilliance, gold, and the sun. Although it is true that for the most superstitious people it has the reputation of being the color of bad luck.
Therefore, the yellow flowers symbolize optimism, joy and harmony, so they are flowers to give to friends, so that your relationship will be strengthened in difficult times.
On the other hand, the color yellow is also associated with that half of your brain responsible for expressing feelings and communicating. This color helps clarify ideas, so it’s often used in meditation.
Visualizing yellow for a long period of time, according to meditation experts, makes communicating between people easier, since it’s associated with the power of words and expression.
So, if you have a problem with somebody, whether your partner, family member, friend, coworker, etc. and you need to talk with him or her, a good gift may be yellow flowers.
What’s the best time to give yellow roses as a gift?
Any time is the right time to give the gift of yellow roses as long as you want to share feelings of joy and gratitude with your gift.
Nevertheless, you should be aware that yellow roses aren’t the perfect flower for winning over a love interest; in this case we would recommend red roses or even pink roses.
In this sense, yellow flowers are more closely linked to feelings of friendship, as distinct from love, passion, and sensuality.
The significance of yellow roses makes them perfect for occasions such as: a friend’s birthday, a relative’s birthday, a friend or relative’s welcome home party, etc.
However, as we’ve mentioned in the section about the symbolism of yellow roses, these flowers have the power to enhance communication with anybody, so they’re a necessary gift if you want to express your feelings to somebody or want that person to communicate with you, whatever the reason.
Verdissimo’s yellow roses
Here at Verdissimo, the largest producer of preserved flowers and plants, we have a great variety of yellow roses, including different shades of yellow. Allow us to tell you a little bit about them:
- Premium: The Premium rose has two shades of yellow called Warm Yellow and Bright Yellow, and they’re perfect for a pretty bouquet of flowers.
- Extra: At Verdissimo we have the Extra rose in the same shades of yellow as the Premium, though this variety of flower tends to be used more for centerpieces.
- Standard: As is the case with the Premium rose and the Extra rose, Warm Yellow and Bright Yellow are the shades that our Standard Rose comes in.
- Medium: The shades of yellow are the same for this one as for the other varieties of roses, but this type of flower is very different and is in the highest demand from florists.
- Princess: Unlike the other rose varieties, the Princess only comes in one shade of yellow at Verdissimo: Warm Yellow.
If you want to know the symbolism behind roses of other colors, we recommend the following articles: “Rose Meanings by Color,” “White Roses: What Do They Signify?,” and “The Meaning Behind Red Roses.”
Verdissimo | Discover the beauty of preserved flowers!